||Chirumamilla Vinay Kumar
And many more……………………..
Two aspects common to all the rows in above table are
- Sociology Optional
- More than 300 marks
Sociology is one of the highest scoring and safest optional subject to ace UPSC civil services examination. Consistency shown by Sociology optional to help aspirants ace the exam is unmatchable. There are various benefits to select sociology as optional for UPSC civil services as following :
- No specialization is required : Aspirants from any academic background (technical, humanities) can prepare the subject with ease.
- Link with other General studies paper :
One can find usage of sociology with GS1, GS2, GS3 and GS4 as well. Following topics can be better comprehended with sociology as optional
- Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
- Role of women and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
- Effects of globalization on Indian society.
- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- Development processes and the development industry —the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
- Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
- Issues relating to poverty and hunger.
- Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization, of resources, growth, development and employment.
- Inclusive growth and issues arising from it.
- Land reforms in India.
- Linkages between development and spread of extremism.
- Effects of liberalization on the economy, changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth.
- Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; role of family society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
- Many essay topics can be directly linked to sociology : Following essays have been asked in recent past by UPSC
- Neglect of primary health care and education in India are reasons for its backwardness (2019)
- Poverty anywhere is a threat to prosperity everywhere (2018)
- Fulfillment of new woman in India is a myth (2017)
- Destiny of a nation is shaped in its classrooms (2017)
- Near jobless growth in India: An anomaly or an outcome of economic reforms (2016)
- Sufficient guidance and study material available at ease
- Limited and Concise Syllabus which can be covered within 3 to 4 months with proper guidance and dedication
- As per experience shared by few toppers, sociology optional has helped them during interview process as well
A little bit of inclination towards sociology along with proper guidance can prove to be most sophisticated & precise weapon in your armor to sail through the journey of UPSC civil services.
Wishing you all the very best from the entire ALCHEMY IAS Team.
Stay SAFE, Stay FOCUSED, Stay STEADY.