Preliminary Examination - This examination comprises two papers
PAPER - I (Includes .....)
- Polity and Governance.
- Indian and World Geography.
- Economic and Social Development.
- General Science, Environment, Biodiversity etc.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Finally, Current Affairs of National and International Importance.
PAPER - II (Includes .....)
- Comprehension and English, Language Comprehension skill (Class X level).
- Inter personal Skill including Communication skills.
- Logical Reasoning, Analytical Ability and General Mental Ability.
- Decision making and Problem Solving.
- Basic Numeracy (Class X level).
- NOTE: It is the discretion of UPSC to decide minimum qualifying marks for paper I in order to qualify for mains exam. A minimum of 33% (66 marks) is required from paper II for paper I to be considered for evaluation.