First Assembly of ISA
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy is organising the First Assembly of International Solar Alliance (ISA) in New Delhi.
- It will be inaugurated in the presence of Secretary General of United Nations.
- Ministers from countries which ratified ISA treaty framework will attend the assembly as members.
- Countries that have signed but are yet to ratify the ISA Treaty Framework will attend the Assembly as Observers.
- The assembly is the supreme decision making body of ISA.
- Initially, ISA envisaged 121 countries situated between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn as its members.
- In the assembly, India will propose to make all United Nations members eligible for ISA membership.
- It will help induction of countries – Germany, Italy, Spain, Tunisia, Nepal and Afghanistan, which have shown interest in becoming ISA members.
International Solar Alliance (ISA)
- ISA, an Indian initiative, was launched jointly by India and France on the sidelines of COP21 of UNFCCC held in Paris.
- It opened ISA Framework Agreement for signature in Marrakech, Morocco in 2016, on the side-lines of COP-22.
- After ratification by 15 countries, ISA became the first full-fledged treaty based international intergovernmental organization headquartered in India.
- Delhi Solar Agenda was adopted in the founding conference of ISA held in 2018.
- In the agenda, ISA member States have agreed to pursue an increased share of solar energy in the final energy consumption in respective national energy mix.
- The first assembly will lay the foundation of Delhi Solar Agenda.
- Till date, out of 121 prospective member countries that lie either fully or partially between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn, 68 countries have signed the Framework Agreement of the ISA.
IORA – Renewable Energy Ministerial Meeting
- The Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) was set up with the objective of strengthening regional cooperation and sustainable development within the Indian Ocean Region.
- The association comprises 21 Member States and 7 Dialogue Partners.
- India, Australia, Iran, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, South Africa, Mozambique, Kenya, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Bangladesh, Singapore, Mauritius, Madagascar, UAE, Yemen, Seychelles, Somalia, Comoros and Oman are members of IORA.
- Neither Pakistan nor Myanmar are member of IORA.
- The Coordinating Secretariat of IORA is located at Ebene, Mauritius.
- The apex body is the Council of (Foreign) Ministers (COM).
- The first Renewable Energy Ministerial Meeting was held in Abu Dhabi, UAE in the year 2014.
- India is going to host 2nd IORA Renewable Energy Ministerial meet in October, 2018.
- Ministers and delegates from all 21 member-countries are expected to participate.